Red Sox Announce Marathon Tributes Prior To Sunday’s Game
Boston Red Sox
Buy Red Sox Tickets
BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Red Sox will pay tribute to last year’s Boston Marathon tragedy prior to Sunday night’s game against the Orioles at Fenway Park.
The club will acknowledge the support that has come to Boston from across the nation, illustrate how far some of the wounded have come in the past year, and salute the heroes who saved lives and have helped the city heal. It will also include a remembrance of the four who lost their lives during the tragic events, Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and officer Sean Collier.
The tribute is set to begin at approximately 6:30 pm.
Here are the details of the tribute via the Red Sox:
- The University of Massachusetts Marching Band and the Boston Pipers Society will perform a piece called “Highland Cathedral,” and they will also perform the national anthem. Members of the Boston Police Department, Watertown Police Department, and Massachusetts State Police will carry the colors.
- A series of canvases bearing inscriptions of good will from all 50 United States, along with all Major League Baseball teams and members of Congress, will line the outfield warning track.
- Sunday’s Ceremonial First Pitch will honor civic and business leaders who quickly and successfully started the One Fund Boston.
The Red Sox will also have their traditional 11:05 am game on Patriots Day, and will begin a new tradition by wearing jerseys with “Boston” written across the front. The team also wore the jerseys for last year’s Marathon tribute at Fenway on April 20.
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
- Keidel: Giving Thanks For Sports
- Bears-Lions Fantasy Starters: Matt Forte, Matthew Stafford, And Calvin Johnson
- Lions’ Dominic Raiola Fined $10,000 By NFL
- Chandler Jones Participates In Patriots Walk-Through