BOSTON (CBS) – On the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, Boylston Street was evacuated and two bags were detonated by the Bomb Squad near the finish line.
UPDATE: Wakefield Man Charged
One of the bags was being carried by a barefoot man who was wearing a long black veil and screaming “Boston Strong.” That man has been identified by sources as 25-year-old Kayvon Edson.
A source tells WBZ-TV that when Edson was stopped by police, he told them he had a rice cooker in his bag. That is when the Bomb Squad was called to the scene.
A source tells CBS News that the rice cooker in the bag was full of confetti.
Edson is charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and possession of a hoax device.
The Bomb Squad inspected the bag left behind the photo bridge and detonated it just before 9:00 p.m. The second bag was detonated about 40 minutes later.
A source says the second bag may have contained photo equipment.
Boston Police say the bags were “disrupted for precautionary reasons.”
Boylston Street was shut down between Dartmouth and Fairfield Streets while police investigated. The road was reopened by 11:30 p.m.
One year ago, three people died, and more than 260 people were injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line of the marathon. Earlier in the day, Vice President Joe Biden joined survivors, and victim’s families for a moment of silence at 2:49 p.m., the same time the bombs exploded a year ago.
The incident Tuesday night happened just minutes after the Norden brothers, who are survivors of last year’s attack, completed a relay walk along the 26.2 mile course.
The 118th Boston Marathon will be held Monday, April 21.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON