Red Sox 2014 Opening Day Fun Facts
BOSTON (CBS) – The Boston Red Sox open up their 114th season Monday afternoon against the Orioles in Baltimore.
To get you ready for the season opener, here are a few Red Sox opening day facts:
– The Red Sox are 55-57-1 all-time on Opening Day.
– This is the 74th time overall that the Red Sox have opened the regular season on the road and fourth year in a row (32-40-1).
– Including 2014, the Red Sox have opened on the road in 16 of the last 19 seasons, beginning in 1996. They’ve gone 7-8 in those games.
– Monday will be Boston’s ninth time opening the season in Baltimore, with the Red Sox 3-5 in those games.
– Jon Lester will make his fourth career opening day start and fourth straight for the Red Sox. He will become the first Red Sox pitcher to start four straight season-openers since Pedro Martinez did it in each of his seven seasons with the club.
– Overall, this will be the 21st season in which a left-hander has started Boston’s first game of the season (9-11).
– Jon Lester is 15-3 in 25 career starts against the Orioles, and 8-1 with a 2.99 ERA in 13 career starts in Baltimore.
– Dustin Pedroia has hit safely in all seven Red Sox openers since 2007, batting .393 with two doubles, two homers, five RBI, and six runs scored. It’s the longest Opening Day hitting streak by a Red Sox since Mo Vaughn hit safely in seven straight season-opening contests from 1992-98.
– David Ortiz is 8-for-31 (.258 average) in his nine opening days with the Red Sox with two home runs, four doubles, six RBI and five runs scored. Ortiz missed opening day last season while coming back from an Achilles injury.
– Carl Yastrzemski hit a team-record six opening day homers.
– American tenor Richard Troxell will perform the National Anthem at Camden Yards. This will be the ninth time he’s performed the National Anthem on Baltimore’s opening day, and he will also sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning stretch.
– Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral James A. Winnefeld, Jr. will throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Monday.
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON