BOSTON (CBS) – The 2014 NFL season is set to kickoff September 4th, which may seem like light years away to both the diehard and casual fan.
Regardless of that fact, the NFL offseason is in full swing with free agency underway, the draft approaching and the annual meetings taking place this week down in Orlando.
The most notable news coming from the meetings are the proposed rule changes for the upcoming season. With Mike Flynn filling in for Gresh, Scott Zolak and Flynn review the proposals being pitched and suggest what they would change.
Flynn began with what he would fix.
“I don’t want to make pass interference a spot foul. I despise that rule. Make it 15 yards and first down, very similar to college.” The biggest problem Flynn currently has with the enforcement of pass interference are offenses simply heaving up passes on third and long, looking to get bailed out with a first down.
Some rule changes that have already been addressed this week are:
– Making all plays reviewable: Voted down
– The “NaVorro Bowman” rule: Recovery of a loose ball in the field of play can now be reviewed on instant replay
– Modifying the PAT rule: This will be experimented with in weeks 1 and 2 of the preseason, and it’ll move the line of scrimmage on extra points back to the 20-yard line.
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was adamant in his pitch to move the PAT back, saying this week, “I don’t think that’s really a very exciting play because it’s so automatic.”
Zo and Flynn discussed all the changes and proposals in an overarching discussion about what needs to be fixed in the NFL.
What would you do to make the NFL better?
Tell us in the comment section and listen below for the full discussion:
MORE SPORTS FROM CBS BOSTON
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Extends Hit Streak To 28 Games As Red Sox Cruise Past Rockies
- Kalman: Signing Kevan Miller Was Wrong Move At Wrong Time For Bruins
- Roger Goodell Claims To Have Not Seen OTL Report, Congressional Investigation Into NFL’s Interference With Concussion Study
- Kalman: Bruins’ New Assistants Specialize In Grooming Youth, Constructive Criticism
- Felger: Bruins Re-Signing Kevan Miller ‘So Bad But So Predictable’
- Wallach: We Should Learn Second Circuit’s Leaning On Tom Brady Rehearing Within 30 Days