Worker Suffers Cold Burns In Propane Accident In Saugus
SAUGUS (CBS) – An accident involving a propane tank in Saugus sent one person to the hospital on Thursday.
Crews have been using liquid propane to cure cement during the winter at Walmart construction site on Broadway.
Thursday morning around 10 a.m., a worker went to unhook the tanks to remove them and was sprayed with liquid propane.
He told officials that the tank’s gauge had read “empty.”
That worker, who was not immediately identified, suffered cold burns on about 40 percent of his body.
He was taken to Mass. General Hospital.
His condition was not immediately known.
Fire crews responded and the area was evacuated until firefighters were able to determine that there were no elevated gas readings in the area.
OSHA and the DEP were called in to investigate the incident.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON