Gresh & Zo: Jim Irsay’s DUI Puts Roger Goodell In A Tough Spot
BOSTON (CBS) – Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has gotten himself into a bit of trouble recently.
Andy Gresh and Scott Zolak discussed the DUI charge and what it means for not only Irsay, but to the players of the NFL as well.
Irsay has struggled with alcoholism and drug addiction throughout his life. According to Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, a source close to Irsay said, “He’s a sick, sick man. … He desperately needs help.”
Gresh isn’t sure what can be done against Irsay in regards to the league’s personal conduct policy. Unlike the players, Irsay is an owner and one of the 32 bosses of the league.
“How does Rodger Goodell deal with this? Owners are the guys who hire Rodger Goodell,” Gresh said.
Zolak provided some insight as well after he “talked to someone who talked to a Colts player.”
“Immediately after the game, when the head coach would have the team up, doors would pop open,” Zolak said. “In would come Irsay and just, mid-sentence, just take over the postgame and be pretty much incoherent. Not intoxicated, but reeked of pot.”
Roddy White, an All-Pro wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons, in response to Irsay’s arrest, tweeted: I want to see what the NFL does about this Jim Irsay situation if a player loses a game check no matter the amount he should lose a game day.
Zolak sees players, like White, closely monitoring the situation to see how Irsay will be punished. According to the former NFL veteran, players are tired of hearing about good behavior and getting punished for minor incidents.
Listen below for the full discussion:
MORE SPORTS FROM CBS BOSTON
- Lou Lucier, Oldest Former Red Sox Player, Dies At 96
- Felger & Mazz Video: Should Patriots Have Gone After Percy Harvin?
- Bruins Announce Kevan Miller Out Indefinitely With Separated Shoulder
- Revolution’s Lee Nguyen Named MLS Player Of The Week
- Celtics Not Ruling Out Opening Night Return For Rondo
- Zolak: ‘Gooberish’ For Peyton Manning To Pre-Plan Record Breaking Touchdown Celebration
- Tom Brady’s New UGG Commercial Gives A Look At Life Off The Field