Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

Douglas Kindergarten Class Evacuated After CO Leak

DOUGLAS (CBS) — Nine people were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at Douglas Municipal Center.

Superintendent Nancy Lane said the entire kindergarten class – 77 students – was evacuated and taken to East Douglas Elementary School for evaluation. The kindergarten holds classes on the second floor of the Municipal Center.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe

Douglas Kindergarten Class Evacuated After CO Leak

Of the nine people who went to the hospital, six were kindergartners, one was a high school student volunteer and two were staff members.

Authorities said at a news conference that several students began feeling ill and smelled exhaust, prompting an emergency response.

Douglas Fire Department says it appears a faulty boiler is to blame for the leak.

The students were evaluated and once their levels returned to normal, allowed to go home with their parents.

Lane said as long as the building is deemed safe, school will resume Tuesday.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live