US Stands By Charges Against Boston Marathon Bomb Suspect

BOSTON (AP) — Prosecutors say they oppose a defense motion to dismiss some charges against Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

The filing Friday in federal court in Boston says the number of charges “reflects the number of crimes Tsarnaev committed.”

Two pressure cooker bombs were placed near the marathon finish line last year, killing three people and wounding more than 260. The 20-year-old Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty in the attack.

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against him for crimes that include using a weapon of mass destruction.

Lawyers for Tsarnaev said in a motion last month that the charges are repetitive and the total number could sway jurors weighing whether to find him guilty and, if they do, whether to sentence him to death.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Summer of Savings
Download Weather App

Listen Live