BOSTON (CBS) – The driver in the derailment of a Green Line trolley Monday has been fired, a source told WBZ-TV Friday.
Sydley Gardner, 48, had been suspended without pay since the crash.
The MBTA announced Friday that Gardner was to blame for the derailment near Kenmore Station, which left ten people hurt and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
“The motorperson failed to operate his trolley in compliance with speed and signal requirements,” MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said in a statement to WBZ.
“The MBTA’s investigation had previously ruled out any problems with the trolley, tracks, switch, or signals.”
Gardner, 48, was fired by the MBTA back in 2010 for failure to report an accident.
But, the union filed a grievance challenging Gardner’s dismissal. In 2012, an arbitrator agreed and he was re-instated.
Gardner was hired by the MBTA in 2008. At that time, there was no driving record check for MBTA drivers. His personal driving history includes 20 moving violations, including speeding seven times. The MBTA did not start checking driver records for new hires until 2009.
The MBTA is making plans to change the minimum criteria for job applicants to be eligible for the positions of train or bus operators. According to the MBTA, a candidate is disqualified if he/she has had: 3 or more moving violations in the same calendar year in the past 3 years; one or more DUI/DWI within the past 5 years; or found at fault in a fatal vehicle accident.
MBTA GM Beverly Scott has told staff she wants recommendations soon that can be implemented within a month.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON