Local

Cigarette May Have Caused New Bedford Fire That Injured Mom, Son

View Comments

NEW BEDFORD (CBS) – Two people were seriously injured in an early morning fire in New Bedford that may have been sparked by a cigarette.

Flames broke out on the second floor of the home on Dartmouth Street.

Fire officials say a 9-year-old boy who was inside the home heard the smoke alarms and called 911 to report the fire. That boy and his father both managed to escape.

But the child’s mother and older brother found themselves trapped in the fire.

“My brother and mom are stuck in the room,” the 9-year-old can be heard saying in the 911 call.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

A responding police officer was able to rescue the woman after finding her unconscious at the top of a staircase. Family members say she suffered serious burns and smoke inhalation.

Listen: 911 Call

Firefighters found the 23-year-old man in a bedroom on the second floor and pulled him from the house.

He suffered burns on more than 50 percent of his body.

Both victims were in serious condition at Rhode Island Hospital. Police say the 9-year-old’s 911 call may have saved their lives.

Investigators say initial indications are that the fire was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,155 other followers