Local

Seven Taken To Hospital After CO Issue At Ogunquit Motel

View Comments
Nearly two dozen people complained of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms at an Ogunquit, Maine, motel on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014. (Credit: WBZ-TV)

Nearly two dozen people complained of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms at an Ogunquit, Maine, motel on Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014. (Credit: WBZ-TV)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

OGUNQUIT, Maine (CBS) — Police in Ogunquit, Maine, responded to the Falls Motel on Sunday afternoon for a carbon monoxide incident involving nearly two dozen people.

According to Ogunquit Fire Department 21 people complained of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. Seven were taken to the hospital where they are listed in stable condition.

Authorities say readings taken in the motel showed 300 parts per million for carbon monoxide. Anything above 35 parts per million is considered dangerous.

The Fire Department says a furnace is to blame for the high carbon monoxide readings.

Ogunquit Fire says the motel had no working carbon monoxide detectors in the motel rooms and owners may now face fines. Maine law states working carbon monoxide detectors are required.

Some of those affected told first responders they had mild symptoms last night but did not report them to the front desk until this morning.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,075 other followers