BOSTON (CBS) – Boston Red Sox co-owner John Henry is indisputably a brilliant guy, as well as a personal hero of mine for his superb guidance of the Red Sox to three extremely-gratifying championships.
But with all due respect, I think he’s dead wrong when he says, as he did Wednesday down at spring training, that “there is an expiration date” on Fenway Park.
Listen to Jon’s commentary:
“Someone at some point in decades ahead will have to address the possibility of a new ballpark,” he said, but what he really means is, someone will want to.
There’s always someone who wants to maximize profits by scrapping the cramped old place for a gleaming new park with plenty of high-profit luxury suites and wide, comfy seats for wide-load fans.
Mr. Henry and his co-owners wanted to do that when they came here a decade ago, but the public and the pols who represent them said no. So they went ahead and did a great job of revitalizing Fenway and generating enough revenue in the process to create the dominant team of the century so far.
But I argue that Fenway’s value, and the need to maintain it, will grow ever larger over the next 30 years.
Look at the top four tourist attractions in Boston, according to the Travel Channel: the Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, Fenway Park and Cambridge.
None of them make the list because they’re ultra-modern and comfy. All of them share the appeal that makes our city special – age, history, and a unique sense of place.
Yes, I’ve been to Camden Yards, and it’s great, I can’t wait to go back.
But scrapping Fenway, even 30 years from now?
You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON