NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Lawrence Man Dead After Crash On I-93 In Wilmington

View Comments
(WBZ-TV)

(WBZ-TV)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WILMINGTON (CBS) — A 22-year-old Lawrence man is dead after a crash on Interstate 93 north in Wilmington.

The crash happened at 5 a.m. Sunday.

According to State Police, a 2003 Acura TL collided with the center median barrier and then rolled over.

Initial investigation revealed that the Acura left the roadway, struck the guardrail on the median side, rolled over, and landed on its roof in the third travel lane. The engine to the car was found about 100 feet from the vehicle in the first travel lane, police said.

The driver, identified as Dennes Almonte, 23, of Lawrence, fled the scene on foot and was later located on Ballardvale Street in Wilmington after he pulled a fire call box. Almonte was taken to Lahey Clinic with non-life threatening injuries.

A 22-year-old man from Lawrence, Hansel Paulino, was ejected from the car in the crash. He was unconscious and unresponsive at the crash scene. Paulino was taken to Lahey Clinic, where he was pronounced dead.

The State Police said another passenger in the vehicle,  24-year-old Jonathan Cruz of Lawrence, was also ejected from the vehicle, landing in the third travel lane about 20 feet from the car. Cruz suffered serious, but non-life threatening injuries. He was taken to Lahey Clinic by Wilmington EMS.

State Police said Sunday afternoon that Almonte had been placed in custody at Lahey Clinic and charged with causing serious injury while under the influence of alcohol, negligent driving and speeding. Almonte is being held on $250,000 cash bail.

Almonte is expected to be arraigned Monday in Woburn District Court.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,015 other followers