BOSTON (CBS) – Mike Florio of NBC’s Pro Football Talk, the man dubbed “The Godfather of Football Gossip” by Michael Felger, stopped by the 98.5 spot on Radio Row to talk to Tony and Mike this afternoon. While they touched on a medley of football topics, rule changes were the most prevalent in their discussion.
Florio said that he believes Goodell’s new playoff proposal will be approved in March, and then implemented for the 2015 season. This proposed scenario adds a third wild card team to each conference, resulting in two more games on Wild Card Weekend. In this scenario, the (8-8) Pittsburgh Steelers would have found themselves in the playoffs this season with the last seed in the AFC.
He went on to say that he believes changes to official reviews are coming, that would mirror the model the NHL uses. In professional hockey, there is a league official watching all of the night’s games from a central “situation room,” and all reviews go through this official rather than the on-ice referee. This would eliminate the “going under the hood” aspect, and ultimately speed games up.
In regards to an extra point adjustment, he believes that change is still a couple years away.
Listen for the full interview below:
MORE PATRIOTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
- New Patriots Lineman Jonathan Cooper Carted Off With Foot Injury
- Volin: Tom Brady Doesn’t Seem Like Himself, Is More ‘Withdrawn And Quiet’ At Patriots Practices
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio Writes Scalding Opinion On Bill Belichick’s Head Coaching Credentials
- Day 2 Observations From Patriots Training Camp: Angry Brady And Bill The Teacher
- Martellus Bennett Can Handle Two Quarterbacks: ‘I’ve Dated Two Girls At The Same Time’