By Paul Burton, WBZ-TV

WALTHAM (CBS) – Fighting back tears Stephanie Patrick of Waltham says she has a lot to be thankful for after a fire ripped through the top floor of her apartment on Prospect Street Ave Friday afternoon. “There was smoke there was smoke coming from the room. We had to just run out,” Patrick cried.

At first she thought her roommate was trapped inside so she and first floor resident Dan Reedy ran back in to help. “I went upstairs with the woman who lives up there and kicked the door in and smoke poured out,” Reedy said.

Waltham Fire Chief Paul Ciccone says when they arrived there was heavy fire pouring out the top window and roof. “Companies made an interior attack did a search there was a report of people in the building as of now that report is negative,” Chief Ciccone said.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports

Frigid conditions also made this fire extremely tough to battle. Several firefighters slipped trying to put it out. “The weather, the location and narrow street makes it very icy we are in the process of getting sand brought in very hazardous scene,” Ciccone said.

Cold and distraught, Dan Reedy says he sells books and classic records online and fears his entire collection may be gone. “I’ve lived there for eight years and everything I have is in there,” Reedy said. Patrick says she’s glad she made it out alive. “God is good. We couldn’t have been sleeping. The greatest thing is that nobody died,” Patrick said. The fire remains under investigation.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s