RI School Warns Parents About Students Snorting Smarties

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (CBS) — Parents at one Rhode Island middle school have received a warning about students snorting a popular candy.

According to CBS affiliate WPRI, parents of Portsmouth Middle School students received a note from school officials on Thursday, warning them to watch out for students snorting Smarties.

School officials said the trend is a ‘widespread phenomenon’ that’s found on popular YouTube videos.

According to WPRI, the note sent to parents via email explains the methods in which students have been ingesting the sugary candy, including smoking and snorting.

School officials said snorting and or smoking the candy could cause nasal problems, infections, lung irritations, allergic reactions or the rare possibility of maggots inside the nasal cavity.

CBS News spoke with one Portsmouth Middle School parent who exchanged emails with a doctor quoted in the school letter. Dr. Oren Friedman told the parent that while he has never seen a case of nasal maggots from Smarties, he has seen maggots develop from other food products in the nose.


One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live