Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

High CO Levels In NH Apartment Send 7 To Hospital

By Michael Rosenfield WBZ-TV

MANCHESTER, N.H. (CBS) — Seven family members are out of the hospital and recuperating after a carbon monoxide scare in their Manchester apartment.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports

High CO Levels In NH Apartment Send 7 To Hospital

The problems started Sunday morning.

“When I woke up I have headache,” said Bhumika Chhetri. The family is originally from Bhutan.

The symptoms got worse and soon she and her niece and nephew, both of whom are children, were unconscious. Her sister, husband and parents were feeling ill as well.

Her husband called 911.

“I started feeling dizzy,” said Duryo Adhikari. “I went to the bathroom and vomited twice.”

Firefighters believe a faulty stove that wasn’t venting properly is to blame for the carbon monoxide poisoning.

They say it was likely going on for a while.

“It’s probably been like that in their apartment for quite some time,” said Manchester Fire District Chief Jim Michael. “Slowly but surely adding up in the bloodstream.”

All seven were treated at a Manchester hospital and then sent to a Boston hospital for more treatment before being released this morning.

The apartment did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

Investigators say it is a good thing they called 911 when they did. Otherwise they could have fallen asleep and died.

Firefighters eventually ventilated the apartment until carbon monoxide readings were reduced to zero.

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live