Search Warrant Links Aaron Hernandez To 2012 Boston Double Murder
BOSTON (CBS) – A search warrant filed recently in Connecticut explains why Boston Police are investigating former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in a double murder.
According to the warrant filed in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Connecticut, police suspect Hernandez was driving a SUV that was involved in the fatal shootings of two men in the South End in July 2012.
Daniel Abreau, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28, were killed when someone fired at the BMW they were in near the corner of Herald Street and Shawmut Avenue.
A third person was wounded.
No one has been charged in that double homicide.
The sister of one of the victims, Neusa Abreu tells WBZ-TV that she hopes the case is solved and justice is served.
“It’s really frustrating, I think about it a lot and I cry. The only thing I can do is pray to God,” Abreau said.
“I don’t know if he was abused as a child or had a rough life. I’m not sure what the issue is and why this had to happen.”
“This was a very, very bad development for Mr. Hernandez,” said WBZ-TV legal analyst Harry Manion.
He expects an indictment in the 2012 murders to come soon.
“From a trial lawyer and prosecutor’s standpoint this is very dramatic. I think this is the foundation of a very strong circumstantial case against Aaron Hernandez in the double drive-by shooting.”
Hernandez is currently being held without bail for the murder of Odin Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester on June 17 in North Attleboro.
Nothing in the warrant suggests a motive for the July 2012 killings.
Hernandez is charged with killing Lloyd in June 2013 two days after the two partied together at Rumor, a nightclub in the Theater District.
The warrant says a security supervisor at that club tipped off police to the link between the two shootings.
According to warrant, the supervisor said he heard about the connection because somebody “accidentally spilled the beans in front of me.”
Police found the SUV believed to be involved in the 2012 shooting in Hernandez’s uncle’s garage in Connecticut. According to the warrant, it was dusty, layered in cob webs and had not been used in more than a year.
The gun that was used in the 2012 double murder was found after a car crash in Springfield last year.
The warrant was first reported by The Hartford Courant.
It was filed in December and seeks phone calls Hernandez associate Alexander Bradley made from jail.
Police believe Bradley was with Hernandez the night of the 2012 South End murders.
Bradley is suing Hernandez, claiming the former Patriot shot him in the face in Florida a year ago, after the 2012 incident and before Lloyd’s murder.