NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

NH Officials: Landlord Thawing Pipes Starts Fire

View Comments
Derry, NH fire officials extinguish a fire in a 100-year-old home. (Derry Fire)

Derry, NH fire officials extinguish a fire in a 100-year-old home. (Derry Fire)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DERRY, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire fire officials say a landlord using a propane torch to thaw frozen pipes started a fire that left five tenants homeless.

Derry firefighters were called to the two-family Mt. Pleasant Street home after tenants called to say there was a fire in the walls of an apartment at the rear of the 100-year-old house.

Fire officials say all five tenants and two dogs escaped without injury. Firefighters had to dismantle several walls to extinguish the blaze.

Due to damage to pipes and the electrical system all utilities had to be shut off and the house was deemed uninhabitable.

American Red Cross volunteers helped the tenants, who said they had nowhere to go.

Fire officials did not immediately answer inquiries about the landlord’s identity and whether he could face charges.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,989 other followers