Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

Officials: Derry, NH Fire Caused By Landlord Using Torch To Thaw Frozen Pipes

DERRY, N.H. (AP) — Officials say a landlord using a propane torch to thaw frozen pipes in the subzero temperatures sparked a fire that damaged an apartment building in the New Hampshire town of Derry.

Officials say the occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived Saturday morning. A woman with a history of respiratory problems was treated and taken to Parkland Medical Center.

Fire crews were able to quickly knock down the fire and dismantled several exterior and interior walls to keep it from spreading.

Since the piping and electrical system have been damaged, the two apartments cannot be lived in.

American Red Cross is helping the five adults find temporary housing.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live