Prosecutor Claims Aaron Hernandez’s Girlfriend Lied To Grand Jury 29 Times
FALL RIVER (CBS/AP) – Aaron Hernandez’s girlfriend is accused of lying to a grand jury 29 times in the murder case against the former New England Patriot.
In court papers filed by lead prosecutor William McCauley, Shayanna Jenkins allegedly told the lies when she testified before a Bristol County grand jury August 13 and 15.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports
Jenkins has been charged with perjury in the investigation. Her attorney, Janice Bassil, claims prosecutors have no evidence her client lied.
Last month, Bassil asked the state to pinpoint where in the 200 pages of testimony Jenkins allegedly committed perjury.
The judge ruled the prosecution must specify what Jenkins said and gave them until December 2 to produce the results.
The Bill of Particulars document was released to WBZ-TV and other media Tuesday.
In it, McCauley specified 29 instances where Jenkins allegedly lied to the grand Jury.
Some of them include:
- Jenkins “did not have any conversation” about Odin Lloyd’s murder with Hernandez, even though Lloyd’s body was found near their home in North Attleboro and Hernandez had been with Lloyd the night of the murder.
- Jenkins claims she saw only one gun in their home.
- Having a “lack of memory” about multiple conversations with Hernandez, including when he called Jenkins June 18 from his lawyer’s office in Boston asking her to remove items from their home.
- Jenkins’ “lack of knowledge” about what items she took out of the home after the murder or how and why she removed them.
- She could not remember where she went after she left Hernandez at the police station in North Attleboro.
Jenkins pleaded not guilty to the perjury charge in October and was released on a promise to return to court.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder charges in the shooting death of Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-pro football player who was dating Jenkins’ sister.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON