NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Candle Left Burning Overnight Sparks Fire At Plymouth Senior Housing Complex

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PLYMOUTH (CBS) – A small tea light candle was the source of a destructive fire early Friday morning at a senior housing complex in Plymouth, officials said.

It happened just before 4 a.m. on Prince Street.

Investigators believe someone left the candle burning on top of a television and the flame ignited something and spread.

Four people were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and exposure to frigid temperatures.

Sixteen of the 84 units were affected in all. The fire chief says there are eight apartments that can’t be salvaged.

Resident Ed Borkin says by the time he got out, it was moving fast.

“The flames coming out of the window,” he said.

He’s among more than a dozen residents currently displaced by the fire.

Despite the damage, Jim Hennessy told us it is age and experience that gives him and the others here a healthy perspective.

“Just very thankful to god that it wasn’t worse; could’ve lost the whole place,” he said.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus