NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2
BOSTON MARATHON: LIVE MONDAY ON CBSBOSTON.COM, WBZ-TV & WBZ NEWSRADIO Read More

Local

Lawyer: Wakefield Sex Offender Offers Castration For Reduced Sentence

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WOBURN (CBS/AP) – The lawyer for a convicted sex offender charged in a horrific case in Wakefield says his client is willing to be castrated in exchange for a lighter sentence.

John Burbine, 49, was arrested in September 2012 and charged with sexually abusing several young children at his wife’s unlicensed day care. He had previously been registered as a Level 1 sex offender, a classification given those least likely to reoffend.

Burbine’s lawyer, William Barabino, asked prosecutors and the judge in the case to cap Burbine’s sentence at the legal minimum of 15 years in prison if he agrees to voluntarily undergo a castration.

Prosecutors want to send him to prison for up to 100 years and they say castration wouldn’t change their sentencing recommendation.

A lawyer denied the request during a hearing Wednesday, but left the door open to discuss castration after the trial is over. A trial date has not yet been set.

Barabino says the procedure would prevent the production of testosterone and reduce Burbine’s sex drive.

Burbine’s lawyer admitted after the hearing that he’s trying to make a deal.

Also part of the motion, a request for $7,500 for Burbine to undergo a mental health evaluation.

“Given the things John has done, I think most everyone would say it’s sick stuff, so we’ve filed a motion for funds to hire a doctor and that doctor would see John and see if he appreciates the wrongfulness of his conduct,” Barabino said.

The judge denied the request, asking for a better accounting of the money.

If Burbine were to be castrated, it may be the first in Massachusetts but it would be paid for by tax payers.

Burbine is accused of abusing at least 13 children ranging in age from eight days old to three-and-a-half years old from August 2010 and August 2012.

He was indicted in December 2012 on 100 counts of charges related to child rape, sexual abuse and child pornography.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus