BOSTON (CBS) – The MLB Hot Stove is just heating up as the GM Meetings commence in Orlando, Florida.
The Red Sox made qualifying offers to Mike Napoli, Jacoby Ellsbury and Steven Drew, which all three players declined prior to Monday’s deadline. CBSSports.com’s Baseball insider Jon Heyman joined Gresh & Zo on Tuesday to discuss the market for Boston’s impending free agents, and the landscape of the MLB off-season.
Heyman believes that agent Scott Boras is trying to get a four-year deal for Drew, and given the “supply and demand” nature of the shortstop market this off-season he just might get it. That would mean no return to Boston for the slick-fielding shortstop.
Heyman could see Napoli returning to Boston, but there are other teams that may be willing to pay more for the first baseman.
“I think he can repeat that three-year, $39-million [contract] that he didn’t quite get last year. That would give him four-years, $52-million including the $13-million he got this year with the incentives. Texas is back talking to him, and Seattle is a possibility, and Boston would be the three that come to mind,” said Heyman.
Should Boston miss out on Napoli, it’s been reported they would try to acquire 27-year-old Mark Trumbo from the Angels.
“I would say he would make some sense as a Napoli replacement,” Heyman said of Trumbo. “If [the Angels] do trade him there would be a lot of teams looking at Trumbo, probably seven or eight teams on the market for a guy with that kind of power.
“He would certainly fit well in Fenway; he has power that won’t be held in Fenway,” said Heyman. “He’s one of the strongest guys in baseball so it would be a realistic outcome, and [Boston] has the prospects and pitchers that could potentially make that deal happen.”
Heyman also touches on potential landing spots for Jacoby Ellsbury, what catchers the Red Sox could target, and a Pablo Sandoval rumor around Boston:
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON