Roche: Random World Series Thoughts After Game 4
Red Sox CentralShop for Red Sox Gear
Buy Red Sox Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
ST. LOUIS (CBS) – Some random Red Sox thoughts after Game 4 as we watch a World Series that will be won by a team at Fenway Park.
I have been saying all along that David Ortiz belongs in Cooperstown and Big Papi is showing us why again. In 12 World Series games Ortiz is 17 of 39 (.436 average). He has 3 home runs, 12 runs scored and 13 RBI. He’s also only struck out 4 times. His World Series career OPS is 1.335 and, as ESPN pointed out, that’s better than Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
I will say it over and over and over, especially in Busch Stadium, why would you ever pitch to Ortiz? I’ll take my chances all day letting Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes trying to beat me. David Ortiz gets the Barry Bonds treatment – period!
Ortiz gets my Hall of Fame vote for being the best Designated Hitter of all time. Closers get in, so should designated hitters. And, like Curt Schilling, Ortiz is a special postseason player which should matter.
- I love that Gomes said that listening to David’s speech in the sixth inning was like 24 kindergartners looking up to their teacher. It worked.
- Clay Buchholz did what he said he would do — go as hard and as long as he could. The fact that he was throwing at 88 mph rather than his usual 92-95 said it all.
- I love when guys who some may have dismissed step up. Felix Doubront has been great with 4-2/3 brilliant innings out of the bullpen in two games. Who would have thought that would have happened?
PHOTO GALLERY World Series – Boston Red Sox vs St. Louis Cardinals
- John Lackey? Really? Again? Yep, he did it again in Game 4.
- Jon Lester wasn’t at all concerned about his team’s ability to put Game 3 behind them. He said to me before the game that they’ve been that way all season.
- Lester vs. Adam Wainwright in Game 5. Wainwright wants this one bad.
Enjoy the games!
Follow WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche on Twitter @RochieWBZ.
MORE SPORTS FROM CBS BOSTON