BOSTON (CBS) – There is reportedly some concern around the Red Sox that Clay Buchholz will not be able to make his start against the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series over the weekend.
CBSSports’ baseball insider Jon Heyman wrote about Buchholz possibly missing his World Series start due to injury on Wednesday morning, and joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh & Zolak to discuss the matter. Heyman said he wouldn’t be surprised if someone else is on the hill for Boston come Saturday or Sunday.
“I think it’s a real concern. They can still replace (Buchholz) on the roster and go with (Felix) Doubront as the starter for that game, and I think that is a real consideration at this point,” said Heyman. “They’re real hopeful publically… but behind the scenes there is some real worry about Buchholz.”
Buchholz has allowed 10 runs and 19 hits in 16.2 innings over three starts this postseason, and couldn’t make it out of the fifth inning in Boston’s Game 6, ALCS-clincher against Detroit.
“He hasn’t looked as sharp,” Heyman said of Buchholz, who he said is likely still dealing with the shoulder issues that sidelined him for three months earlier this season. “I thought he was just extra-slow in his last start, but maybe he was thinking about it at that moment. Right now he’s at a point of terrific concern.”
LISTEN: Red Sox Playoff Montages
Heyman also talks about the Boston-St. Louis matchup, and if Stephen Drew has a future in Boston:Comments