BOSTON (AP) — Prosecutors have asked a judge to allow victim impact statements from family members of all 19 people Boston mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger was accused of killing, even though Bulger wasn’t convicted in every death.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports
The 84-year-old mob boss was convicted last month of racketeering charges, including 11 killings.
Prosecutor Brian Kelly said Tuesday in federal court that even though Bulger wasn’t convicted in eight killings, relatives of those victims want to speak or submit written testimony at Bulger’s November sentencing hearing. He said there’s legal precedent.
Bulger’s attorney didn’t respond to the prosecution’s request in court, saying he’d like the chance to respond in writing.
Bulger, who faces a life sentence, wasn’t in court Tuesday. The defense didn’t indicate what sentence it would seek.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.