BOSTON (CBS) – The careless disposal of a cigarette is being blamed for a four-alarm fire that destroyed a two-family home in Jamaica Plain Saturday afternoon. The home is at the corner of South Street and Asticou Road.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

Officials say the fire started on a couch on the first floor porch on the Asticou Rd. side of the house. Six adult residents have been displaced.

Deputy Fire Chief Jay Fleming says flames quickly moved up the front of the house and into the attic. “Once the fire gets in there it spreads all the way around the building, it makes it very tough for us to get access and knock down the fires,” Fleming said.

Two firefighters were treated and released from area hospitals after they were injured at the scene. One had an injury to the leg and the other had facial burns.

The building is a total loss and the damage is estimated at $350,000.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s