BOSTON (CBS) — Wally the Green Monster and Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino were on hand Tuesday to help celebrate National Hot Dog Day at The Landing on the waterfront.
Boston Harbor Cruises and Kayem hosted the event, which included free hot dogs.
Victorino traded in his baseball uniform for the day, put on a grilling apron and joining Kayem and the two finalists of Kayem’s “Create The Next Fenway Frank” contest in a “grill off” for the winning Fenway Frank recipe. The winning recipe will be sold the remainder of the season at Fenway Park.
The following hot dog factoids were listed Tuesday on Kayem’s Facebook page:
- 88 percent of adult hot dog eaters prefer mustard over ketchup
- The average hot dog is consumed in 6.1 bites
- Over the Fourth of July weekend, Americans consumed about 175 million hot dogs
- The longest hot dog ever created was 1,996 feet long for the 1996 Olympic Games
- The average American eats 50 hot dogs each year
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports