Accused Boston Bomber May Never Stand Trial
Get Breaking News First
Appearing at the WBZ Business Breakfast Wednesday, John Miller, CBS Senior News Correspondent and former FBI Assistant Director said if the case does go to trial it will take at least a year.
Watch: WBZ Business Breakfast
“You have an individual who is photographed at the scene of the bombings by numerous security cameras, who has allegedly written a manifesto that amounts to a confession on the inside wall of the boat where he is eventually captured,” Miller said.
Before any court dates are set, Miller says the defense and prosecution will be preparing and discussing whether it’s worth going to trial or try to reach a plea deal.
“Those discussions will be based on how much information he is ready to provide the government,” Miller said. “It could be in return for something as simple as we’ll take the death penalty off the table and offer life in prison.”
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Kim Tunnicliffe reports
Tsaranev remains in Fort Devens.
Last month, the defense and prosecution filed a joint motion to delay a May 30 probable cause hearing in the case against Tsarnaev at least until July 2.