Filed underBIDMC Archive
Cucumbers are 95% water which makes eating them a great way to stay hydrated during the hot summer months when they’re in season. Maura Beaufait, Community Health Specialist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, provides this healthy, easy recipe for the perfect dish for a summertime picnic.
Cucumbers are most stable at 45-50℉. However, refrigeration is necessary to retain moisture. Store cucumbers in the hydrator drawer of the refrigerator. They will keep up to 1 week. A cucumber refrigerated after being cut or peeled will deteriorate quickly. Use up leftovers as soon as possible.
Marinated Cucumber Tomato Salad
Preparation Time: 10 minutes plus time to marinate
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar , salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. slivered fresh basil strips
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions in shallow serving’s dish.
- Mix oil, vinegar, and sugar in small bowl and pour over vegetables. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with herbs just before serving. (The leftover marinade makes a good dressing for salad greens.)
Above content provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. For advice about your medical care, consult your doctor
Posted July 2013