Hannaford Recalls Oatmeal Raisin Cookies After Chelmsford Boy’s Allergy Scare

By Lauren Leamanczyk, WBZ-TV

NORTH CHELMSFORD (CBS) – A mislabeled box of cookies nearly put a North Chelmsford boy in the hospital.

Stefani Bush gave oatmeal raisin cookies from Hannaford to her son Will.

He has a nut allergy, so she checked the ingredients first, but there was no indication on the label that the cookies had any nuts.

It wasn’t until after Will had already eaten two that they realized the cookies contained walnuts.

He had a reaction, but his mother quickly gave him an anti-histamine.

“I didn’t suspect anything until I began to itch,” Will told WBZ-TV.

“My first thought was ‘Oh my God, I just gave my kid something that could kill him,’” his mother said.

“It shouldn’t be dangerous to eat a food that’s already been labeled. It should be labeled properly.”

She called the Hannaford in Chelmsford where she bought the cookies and the supermarket chain eventually pulled the cookies from the shelves of all 181 stores.

It also issued a recall.

“My goal is to make sure this doesn’t happen again,” Bush said.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live