Local

Discarded Smoking Material Blamed For Allston Fire That Killed BU Student

View Comments
An fire in this Allston apartment killed a BU student in April 2013.  (Credit: Victor Darish)

An fire in this Allston apartment killed a BU student in April 2013. (Credit: Victor Darish)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

BOSTON (CBS) – A fire that claimed the life of a 22-year-old Boston University student on Sunday morning is being blamed on careless disposal of smoking material.

“The fire started in the area of an interior staircase that was permanently blocked off on the first floor but was an open space to those using the stairs to the second floor from the rear of the house,” Boston Fire Department spokesperson Steve MacDonald said in a news release.

Binland Lee. (Photo courtesy: Beth Fertig / WNYC)

Binland Lee. (Photo courtesy: Beth Fertig / WNYC)

Binland Lee of Brooklyn, New York was killed in the fire at 87 Linden Street in Allston.

Six firefighters and nine residents were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries as a result of the fire.

Nineteen people lived in the two-unit home, which had not been inspected in more than 20 years. The building’s landlord, Anna Belokurova was cited for having an illegal basement apartment and for overcrowding.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,075 other followers