By WBZ-TV's Paul BurtonBy Paul Burton

WATERTOWN (CBS) — Residents of this Boston suburb say sheer terror descended upon their quiet neighborhoods Friday night.

On Saturday, dozens gathered after the lockdown and shoot out that ended Friday night with the capture of one suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, but things were far from normal.

“We were all shocked and of course we were frightened,” Watertown resident Joe Morrissey said.

The manhunt that shut down the city of Boston and surrounding areas Friday culminated right here on Franklin Street, where police say the alleged second Boston Marathon bombing suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was hiding in a boat. The homeowner noticed straps to the cover of his boat had been cut and he also saw blood stains. He immediately called police.

“I can’t imagine how he feels today, the poor man,” one neighbor said.

Moments later, gunshots rang out and neighbors ran for cover. “When the gunshots went off, we were all laying on the ground and just afraid,” Watertown resident Tammy DePamphilis said.

Neighbors heard multiple rounds of gunfire.

“I look outside and they are all over my car using it as coverage. And they told me to grab my shoes and run,” resident Rebecca Heavey said of officers who confronted Tsarnaev.

Then the 19-year-old suspect was taken into custody. The manhunt was over and neighbors could breathe a sigh of relief.

“I think it’s going to take some time for things to get back to normal. Our entire street is a crime scene,”  neighbor Guillermo Madrigal said. “We need to show our identification to get to our homes that are blocked off. But as long as we are safe, that’s what matters.”


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s