15-Year-Old Dies After Rescue From Gloucester House Fire

GLOUCESTER (CBS) – A teenager passed away Wednesday hours after a fire ripped through her Gloucester home.

Fifteen-year-old Victoria McCabe Schmelzer was unconscious when she was rescued from her family’s apartment on Summer Street late Tuesday night.

The fire started in a second floor bedroom. McCabe was in an adjacent bedroom, but firefighters at the scene told WBZ-TV she had no way out.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports

15-Year-Old Dies After Rescue From Gloucester House Fire

“They were probably only on scene about four minutes before they found her, removed her from the building and began resuscitation efforts,” said Deputy Chief Steve Aiello.

McCabe was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she later died.

The firefighter that rescued her was once a neighbor, Aiello said.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

“Combustibles coming in contact with a lamp,” State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.

Comments

More From CBS Boston

July 4 Guide
Download Weather App

Listen Live