Carbon Monoxide Incidents Claim Second Victim, Hospitalize Two More Children
BOSTON (CBS) – Just hours after a teenage boy died from carbon monoxide poisoning, the storm has claimed another victim in the same fashion.
A young man in his early twenties became the second known victim of the storm when he was found in his car on Woolson Street in Mattapan. Police say he was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning and was dead when they arrived.
The victim appeared to be trying to stay warm in his car, but the snow was blocking his tailpipe causing CO to build up in his car.
Two children were hospitalized from CO poisoning on Saturday night.
A brother and sister, ages 5 and 8, were out shoveling with their father in East Boston when he put them in the car to get warm. Minutes later, the father noticed they were unconscious and rushed them to the hospital.
Authorities say the two children will survive.
With CO incidents on the rise, authorities are asking everyone to make sure their cars’ tailpipes are clear of snow before starting the vehicle, and also to check their dryer and furnace vents at home, since drifting snow can block those as well.