Boy Dies From CO Poisoning In Snowed-In Dorchester Car

DORCHESTER (CBS) – A teenage boy became the first casualty of the Blizzard of 2013 in Massachusetts Saturday afternoon.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Doug Cope reports

According to the Boston Fire Department, he was shoveling a sidewalk with his father outside an apartment building on Nazing Street in Dorchester when he became tired and cold and climbed into a running car to get warm.

Read: Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

The back of the car was buried in a four-foot-high snowbank, which clogged the tailpipe and caused carbon monoxide to leak into the vehicle.

Read: Post-Blizzard Safety Tips

The boy was overcome by the fumes and went into cardiac arrest.

When EMTs arrived, two neighbors were performing CPR on him. He was rushed to the hospital, but they were unable to revive him.

The boy’s father, realizing what happened, was overcome and went into respiratory arrest. He was also taken to a Boston hospital.

“He did say, ‘My son, my son!,'” Octavius Rowe said. “Out of this tragedy, we have to try and pull out a lesson so the rest of us don’t make the same mistake.”

The father’s condition has not been released, but he is expected to survive.

This incident was one of several CO incidents across the state.

It became such a problem that authorities held an immediate press conference to warn of such incidents.

“All inidcations are these were tragic accidents when people were in their cars with tailpipes that were blocked,” said Dr. Barbara Ferrer from the Boston Public Health Commission.

“These were accidents,” added Boston Fire Commissioner Roderick Fraser. “People were just trying to get out there and do the right thing.”

  • Travel Ban Ends at 4 PM, Still No MBTA Service « CBS Boston

    […] storm-related deaths have been reported in Massachusetts. But a boy went into cardiac arrest in Roxbury after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in a snowed-in […]

  • Genuine Comfort Heating and Air

    Reblogged this on Genuine Comfort Heating and Air and commented:
    Wow! Be careful out there! You never know what can happen!

  • Carbon Monoxide Incidents Claim Second Victim, Hospitalize Two More Children « CBS Boston

    […] (CBS) – Just hours after an 11-year-old died from carbon monoxide poisoning, the storm has claimed another victim in the same […]

  • Boy dies of carbon monoxide poisoning while shoveling with dad – WCVB Boston | Medical Laser Training Schools | Enroll Today

    […] marshal's office issues storm safety warningsBerkshire EagleEast Peoria Times-Courier -CBS Localall 57 news […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live