After The Storm: How To Stay Safe
Get Breaking News First
• Keep any exterior vents on your house cleared of snow. That includes furnace, boiler, heating system and dryer vents. Clogged vents could cause a carbon monoxide backup into your house.
• Any running generators should be kept outside and should be properly vented. Generators also give off carbon monoxide.
• Help dig out fire hydrants and storm drains in your neighborhood.
• Take your time shoveling. Avoid overexertion.
• Use care around downed power lines. Assume a down wire is a live wire.
• Keep off roads to allow plowing operations to proceed smoothly.
• Avoid parking too close to corners, allowing Public Safety vehicles and plows to maneuver safely.
• Never run automobile until exhaust pipe has been cleared of snow.
• Be aware of children playing in the streets, particularly climbing on or running out from behind large snowdrifts. Parents should remind their children to be aware of plowing operations and traffic.