NEWTON (CBS) – Fire investigators are looking into whether a plumber’s equipment started a fire that destroyed four apartments in Newton and left four families homeless.
“He was doing some plumbing in one of the bathrooms,” says Assistant Fire Chief Paul Chagnon.
A mother and toddler made it out uninjured, but that plumber went to the hospital with burns on his hand.
The assistant chief says the plumber may have hurt himself trying to put the fire out. Officials say it started in a wall and sent smoke through the eves, eventually spilling out over the neighborhood.
It happened on the heavily traveled Charles Bank Road, which is a major cut-through linking Nonantum Road to a Mass Pike on-ramp.
The road was shut down for hours, but firefighters were able to clear out and open the road by evening rush hour.
The Red Cross has stepped in to help the displaced families. They are currently providing two families with temporary housing as well as funds for food and baby supplies.
The remaining displaced residents have a place to stay.