SWAMPSCOTT (CBS) –  Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire on Andrew Road Thursday morning.

The fire broke out around 9 a.m. and drew crews from Marblehead, Lynn, Nahant and Salem to help fight the fire.

Flames were seen coming through the roof of the two-and-a-half story home off of Paradise Road.

Fire officials say the cause of the fire was accidental and started at the stove. Whether the stove was left on, or the dog accidentally turned it on “counter surfing” as the occupants say the dog sometimes did, cannot be known.

The dog died in the fire.

The frigid temperatures gave firefighters a run for their money. Water problems caused by frozen hydrants slowed crews down.

A firefighter was taken to the hospital with a minor injury to his hand, police said.

Four school-aged children lived in the home with their parents but no one was home when the fire broke out.

Police say none of the six residents were injured and a cat was unaccounted for. The family’s pet rabbits were saved. Damages are estimated at $250,000-$300,000.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s