3-Alarm Fire Tears Through Swampscott Home
SWAMPSCOTT (CBS) – Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire on Andrew Road Thursday morning.
The fire broke out around 9 a.m. and drew crews from Marblehead, Lynn, Nahant and Salem to help fight the fire.
Flames were seen coming through the roof of the two-and-a-half story home off of Paradise Road.
Fire officials say the cause of the fire was accidental and started at the stove. Whether the stove was left on, or the dog accidentally turned it on “counter surfing” as the occupants say the dog sometimes did, cannot be known.
The dog died in the fire.
The frigid temperatures gave firefighters a run for their money. Water problems caused by frozen hydrants slowed crews down.
A firefighter was taken to the hospital with a minor injury to his hand, police said.
Four school-aged children lived in the home with their parents but no one was home when the fire broke out.
Police say none of the six residents were injured and a cat was unaccounted for. The family’s pet rabbits were saved. Damages are estimated at $250,000-$300,000.