Severe T-Storm Warning: Norfolk, Suffolk & Middlesex Counties Until 9PM | Interactive Radar

Manchester, NH Fire Blamed On Overloaded Power Strips

By Michael Rosenfield, WBZ-TV

MANCHESTER, NH (CBS) – Five people in two separate apartments escaped from a fire early Monday morning in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Firefighters blame overloaded extension cords and power strips for the blaze.

The victims lost nearly everything but were not injured. It happened around 3:00 a.m. on Pearl Street.

Craig Ogden lived in the first-floor apartment with his son and stepfather.

“I just started screaming ‘get out, get out, get out,'” recalls Ogden.

Loretta Griffin and Chris O’Neill lived in the second-floor apartment.

“We don’t have a home and it’s Christmas,” says Griffin.

The families are staying in a local hotel courtesy of the Red Cross for three nights.

Several pets survived but one cat is still missing.

Firefighters had to race back to the scene later in the morning when the fire rekindled.

“I feel bad for the tenants,” said building owner Costas Georgakopoulous.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live