Brown, Warren Will Not Debate In Wake Of Hurricane Sandy
BOSTON (CBS) – Senator Scott Brown announced Monday that he will not participate in a televised debate scheduled for Tuesday night because of Hurricane Sandy.
The campaign released a statement Monday afternoon:
“The Scott Brown campaign today announced that out of concern for the hardship faced by people in the path of Hurricane Sandy that he will not be participating in tomorrow’s fourth and final debate. It is simply not appropriate to go forward with a political debate when a disaster strikes. The focus for all of us before, during and after the storm needs to be on emergency response and disaster relief, not campaigns and politics.”
Last week, Senator Brown said that he would be at the debate rain or shine, and even offered to pick up his challenger, Democrat Elizabeth Warren, if the conditions were bad.
“That’s why I have a truck,” Senator Brown said Friday. “You know it has four wheel drive, if she needs a ride, I’m happy to pick her up, and I’ll be there providing the electricity is on.”
Elizabeth Warren’s campaign also released a statement Monday, saying they too believe the focus should be on the storm response:
“Elizabeth believes the focus now must be on public safety and ensuring people get the help they need during the storm and in its aftermath. With the concern for public safety and cleanup paramount, Elizabeth believes the debate should not be held tomorrow.”
Hurricane Sandy caused widespread power outages across Massachusetts Monday.
President Barack Obama and Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney have canceled their campaign events scheduled for Tuesday.