BOSTON (CBS) — Big Papi is not going away any time soon.
The Boston Red Sox are close to agreeing on a two-year contract with the designated hitter who will turn 37 next month. WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche reported that “it’s a formality that he will sign a two year deal worth $22-26 million dollars” and that “the two sides [are] still talking.”
“When I asked David about a possible deal today, he said ‘hopefully’ and smiled,” Roche tweeted on Tuesday.
The story was first reported by Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.
The report says that the length of the deal “has already been agreed upon … but the sides are still haggling on compensation.” Edes reports the deal will be around $25 million, though the Red Sox are hoping to make it “a few million less.”
The deal could be announced formally by the end of the week.
Ortiz was scheduled to become a free agent following the conclusion of the World Series.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Red Sox introduced John Farrell as their new manager.
Last offseason, Ortiz accepted arbitration from the Red Sox, though the two sides were able to agree upon a one-year deal worth $14.575 million. Ortiz expressed his displeasure with the one-year deal several times throughout the year.
“All I was looking for was two years, at the same salary ($12.5 million),” Ortiz told USA Today in July. “They ended up giving me [$2.025 million] more than that , and look at my numbers this year. Tell me if they wouldn’t have been better off.”
Ortiz produced at his normal level last season until suffering an Achilles injury in mid-July which ended his season, but for one game. In 90 games, he batted .318 with 23 homers, 26 doubles and 60 RBIs. He was on pace for more than 40 homers and 100 RBIs.