But in addition to the big mistakes, like running up credit card debt, there are countless everyday tasks that will daunt most newcomers to personal independence. And a lack of knowledge in the D.I.Y department can be costly.
Before a kid jumps from the nest, they should know how to do things like how to balance a checkbook, cook a turkey, prepare a tax return, invest money, and fix a leaky faucet.
I wish I had been taught how to repair drywall. I should have been shown how to replace a garbage disposal, and how to use a sewing machine.
What practical skills do you wish you had been taught in school? Click play to see how your neighbors answer this fun question.
- Join Bradley Jay for the Jay Talking radio show Sunday nights at ten.
- See more videos at Jay Talking page and click for all Bradley Jay blogs.
- Sign up for Jay Talking newsletters.
- Follow Bradley Jay on twitter.com/jaytalkingwbz
- Check out the Jay Talking Facebook page at facebook.com/jaytalking