Body Of Winchester Native Killed In Libya Attack Returned To U.S.
ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, Md. (CBS/AP) — Leading the grieving, President Barack Obama on Friday honored the four Americans killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya, recalling their lives in deeply personal terms and declaring the United States will never pull back on its principles or “retreat from the world.”
“Their sacrifice will never be forgotten,” Obama said as four flag-draped cases rested near him at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. He had come to witness the return of those slain in the assault on the American diplomatic mission, including the U.S. ambassador, Chris Stevens.
In the heat of a presidential election year, the scene was a gripping reminder of the danger facing Americans in diplomatic and military service every day around the world. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s voice broke as she spoke, and she appeared to be fighting tears after she listened to Obama.
“They knew the danger, and they accepted it,” Obama said. “They didn’t simply embrace the American ideal. They lived it.”
Americans Sean Smith, Winchester native Glen Doherty and Tyrone S. Woods were also killed in a chaotic rush on the consulate.
Doherty and Woods were former Navy SEALS.
Said Obama of all four men: “They embodied it: the courage, the hope and yes the idealism, that fundamental belief that we can leave this world a little bit better than before. That’s who they were, and that’s who we are. If we want to truly honor their memory, that’s who we must always be.”
Obama and Biden joined Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta to express condolences in a private waiting area at the Andrews Air Force Base terminal.
Obama and his dignitaries were at Andrews to witness the transfer of remains ceremony for Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others killed Tuesday in Benghazi.
U.S. officials are investigating whether the assault was a coordinated terrorist attack that took advantage of protests in the Arab world over an anti-Muslim video.
Doherty, 42, had been working as a private security contractor.
His obituary is posted on the website of the Costello Funeral Home in Winchester, but there is no information yet about services.
Doherty was a 1988 graduate of Winchester High School.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)