Patriots-Titans Fun Facts
Patriots CentralShop for Patriots Gear
Buy Patriots Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
BOSTON (CBS) – Here are some facts about Sunday’s New England Patriots-Tennessee Titans game.
- The Patriots have won eight straight season openers, the longest streak in the NFL. The last time they lost was the “Lawyer Milloy game” against the Buffalo Bills in 2003. The Pats are 9-12 all time when they open the season on the road.
- The Tennessee Titans were once the Houston Oilers, and at a series glance, the Patriots lead the series 22-16-1. The Patriots also own a 10-3 record against the Titans franchise since 1981. The last time the Pats and the Titans played was a snowy afternoon at Gillette in October 2009, a 59-0 Pats blowout.
- The last time the Pats played in Tennessee was in 2006, and they beat the Titans 40-23.
- If you’re looking for a couple of interesting connections, here are a few. Titans backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is from Norfolk, Ma native and attended Xaverian Brother High School, and went on to play his college ball at Boston College. His father, Don Hasselbeck, played tight end for the Patriots from 1977-82.
- More connections: Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty’s twin brother Jason plays the same position for the Titans. Also Bill Belichick was born April 16, 1952 in Nashville, Tenn.
- Here are some items to pay attention to. Tom Brady needs 21 passing yards to become the 14th player in NFL history to reach 40,000 yards. Brady also need 260 passing yards to move past Johnny Unitas into 13th place on the all-time passing list. With one touchdown pass, Tom Brady will move past John Elway and have sole possession of fifth place on the all-time touchdown list. They both have 300 career touchdown passes. Also, with a win against Tennessee, Tom Brady will have 125 wins as a quarterback — 5th all-time.
- Wes Welker needs four receptions to pass Troy Brown as the Patriots all-time receptions leader. With his first reception of the game, Welker will extend his streak to 78 straight regular season games with a least one catch — a franchise record.
- Bill Belichick is 11-6 for his career in season openers; Tom Brady is 9-1.
- It’s been a decade of dominance for the Pats. Over the past ten years the Patriots have a record 123-37; a winning percentage of .769. The Colts are the closest team to them with a winning percentage of .694
Follow Levan Reid on CBSBostonsports.com and on Twitter @LevanReid all Patriots’ season long!