Bailey Expected To Be Activated By Red Sox
Red Sox CentralShop for Red Sox Gear
Buy Red Sox Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
BOSTON (CBS) – The Red Sox bullpen could receive another boost Tuesday night when right-hander Andrew Bailey is expected to be activated from the 60-day disabled list.
Bailey, acquired from the Athletics in the off-season to replace Jonathan Papelbon as the Boston closer, has missed the entire season after undergoing surgery on his right thumb in spring training.
Preview: Red Sox Open 3-Game Set In Baltimore
Bailey made six rehab appearances over the last month, allowing just one run on six hits with 10 strikeouts over 6.1 innings pitched. He retired all four batters he faced for Pawtucket on Sunday.
The 28-year-old is expected to be a set-up man for current closer Alfredo Aceves, who is 23-for-29 in save opportunities this season for Boston.
Last week, Bailey said his role didn’t matter — he just wants to help his team win games.
“I don’t really care; it doesn’t matter,” said Bailey. “Those guys have been doing their thing all year-long and I don’t think I’m owed anything. Just because I was the closer in Oakland doesn’t mean I’m the closer here. It’s not a given. I know I have to go out and perform in whatever role I pitch in, and as long as we’re winning I’m happy.”