Filed underDaily Headlines, Heard On WBZ NewsRadio 1030, Local, News, Politics, Seen On WBZ-TV, Syndicated Local, Watch + Listen
BOSTON (CBS) - A first-term state representative from Boston charged with assault and kidnapping was released on $1,000 bail Monday.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Bernice Corpuz reports
State Rep. Carlos Henriquez pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in Roxbury District Court on charges of domestic kidnapping.
He released a statement Monday night about the allegations against him:
“I want to thank all my family, friends, colleagues and particularly the community I am privileged to represent who have expressed their support, love, understanding and best wishes during this confusing and upsetting course of events.
I have been accused of some serious charges, these allegations are completely untrue.
I was raised by a strong mother and also raised with a younger sister both of whom I respect and love deeply. My father, Julio Henriquez, who recently passed was a track coach and mentor to hundreds of young women from this community and I have dedicated myself to protecting women, not abusing or assaulting them. Putting my hands on a woman is contradictory to my upbringing and my own morals.
As both a community activist prior to getting elected and as an elected official I have spoken with hundreds of youth and adults about the problem of violence against women. I have worked tirelessly with multiple agencies and organizations who champion against the issue of domestic violence. It is a mission I am committed to in my personal and public life.
Currently, this matter is in the hands of the court and I am confident that when this process has run its course I will be vindicated of all charges. This matter will be tried in the court and not in the media or in the court of public opinion. I can assure my supporters and critics alike that I am innocent of these charges. I will follow the advice of my attorney and not provide any details of this incident, other than to say and reaffirm I am innocent.
I will continue to work and serve the people of my district as I was elected to do. This incident is unfortunate and embarrassing, but I will not shirk my duties or hide.
I ask that you remain patient and keep me and my family in your prayers. I ask that you respect all parties involved and show supportive by helping to serve our community. I trust that this incident will soon be behind us all and we can continue to serve and deliver for the constituents, the residents of the 5th Suffolk District.”
Henriquez, 35, was arrested at about 4 a.m. Sunday at his home in Dorchester after an altercation with his girlfriend.
He allegedly picked up Katherine Gonzalves at her mother’s home in Arlington around 2 a.m. to “talk about their friendship,” according to a Boston police report.
But, he allegedly got angry and held her against her will, while he drove around Boston in the middle of the night.
According to the police report, Gonzalves said she repeatedly asked Henriquez to stop the car, but he didn’t.
She claimed Henriquez punched her and tried to strangle her several times.
Gonzalves told investigators she jumped out of the moving car on Forsyth Street, ran to a building and eventually got help from Northeastern police.
Gonzalves had scuffs on her right shin and multiple bruises on her arms and wrists, according to the report.
Henriquez, meanwhile, allegedly continued driving. He was eventually tracked down at his home after Gonsalves reported the alleged incident to police.
Prosecutors said Henriquez assaulted Gonsalves earlier in Arlington. That assault charge will be referred to the Middlesex County District Attorney’s office.
Henriquez was also ordered to stay away from UMass-Boston, where Gonzalves attends school, and from two addresses in Somerville and Arlington.
Henriquez, a Democrat, was born and raised in Roxbury. He represents the 5th Suffolk District, Dorchester and Roxbury, in the Massachusetts House. He was first elected in 2010.
“The allegations that have been raised are disturbing and troubling and should be taken very seriously. The matter is now being handled by the appropriate authorities, and that process will play out,” House Speaker Robert DeLeo said in a statement Sunday.
Henriquez was also arraigned on charges of witness intimidation and larceny under $250. He is due back in court September 27.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Bernice Corpuz and WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson contributed to this report.