It’s all about location, location, and location. While about 90% of New England basked in beautiful bright sunshine today, the other 10% was covered by a deck of low clouds. This deck initially rolled over the NH and Essex County coastline near dawn and expanded southwestward to cover most of eastern MA by mid-late morning. Occasionally, some bits of brightening occurred but it was a huge disappointment for those hoping to spend a day in the sunshine at the beaches. Not only was it cloudy there but it was also nippy barely above 60 degrees with a gusty northeast to easterly wind of 15-25mph. The forecast dilemma is determining how much cloudiness will linger, dry up and reform over the next couple days. The projected moisture profile of the atmosphere suggests somewhat drier air mixing in to dissolve many of the clouds tomorrow morning as the ridge of high pressure slowly settles southward from northern New England. This will also result in a lighter but still cooling easterly breeze the next couple days. So I will be cautiously optimistic that the areas that were clouded today will have sunnier conditions develop tomorrow and Sunday. Eventually, the ridge of high pressure will build south of the region as the upper level ridge strengthens. The anticyclonic flow will capture the heat and high humidity in the middle of the nation and escort it into the Northeast. Chicago heated up to the middle 90s late this afternoon and I am predicting that air to materialize here on Wednesday and Thursday. Cooling effects from the ocean will be restricted to Cape Cod, the South Coast and downeast ME on those days. Coincidentally, summer starts on Wednesday with the solstice exactly at 7:09pm. A cold front will introduce drier and somewhat cooler air on Friday. Showers may materialize later next weekend as cooler air returns from Canada.
Joe Joyce delivers his AccuWeather Forecast in the morning and I shall return later in the day.
HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!