If hiring a professional isn’t within your budget or comfort zone, there are many products that are easy to use and can make a difference when it comes to closet organization. Before going to your nearest home improvement store, take time to research what’s out there and what will immediately address your needs.
Products available for organizing your closet include:
- Hangers – There are hangers available that taper and allow you to fit more clothing inside of your closet without causing the usual clutter. Flat hangers can reduce the amount of space used in your closet, leaving more room for additional storage. Hang similar clothing items together to find the piece you are looking for more easily. Special hangers for pants, skirts, belts and hats can also help to organize your wardrobe.
- Storage Bag – Air-tight, closet storage bags are a great way to save space when you have a lot of items to store. Put soft items, such as clothes, comforters or stuffed animals in the bags and use an attachment on your vacuum to remove the air from the sealed bag. When you’re ready to access your belongings, open the bag and they will return to their original shape.
- Door Organizers – To use all of the space available in your closet, invest in some organizers that hang over the doors of your closet. Depending on your needs, you could use a door organizer for storage of shoes, ties, jewelry or other clothing accessories.
- Shelves – Shelving units allow you to keep all of your belongings organized by item type. Shelves can be purchased in a variety of styles – wood, wire, plastic, etc. Some shelves come in predesigned storage solutions for the entire closets, though these require power tools for assembly.
- Bins – There are bins and storage containers available in all shapes and sizes, and there are even storage bins specifically made for wrapping paper and ornaments. List the items you need to organize before heading out to the store, and purchase bins and storage containers according to your specific storage needs.
This article originally appeared on Angie’s List.